Sunday, February 26, 2012

Perspective

Last weekend, E, Sandi and I traveled down to Champaign to visit Ariela and Shoshanna.  While there we were able to see Caroline, who used to travel with us and help us out with E.

We left Saturday morning for Champaign; the drive is a two and a half hour drive.  I am surprised that E's face didn't cramp as he smiled the entire duration of the trip.  E loves spending time with Ariela and Shoshanna and spending time with them a college is even better.  Adding Caroline to the mix only makes the adventure a veritable trip to Utopia.

We arrived at Champaign in about two hours.  I think at some time during the trip the flux capacitor was activated and we traversed through time shaving a hour half off the drive time.

Saturday, we spent the afternoon with Ariela and Shoshanna and finished the night with dinner when Caroline joined us at Houlihan's.  After dinner the girls walked E, Sandi and I up to the room to say good night.  E was under the impression that this was going to be a giant sleepover pulled Ariela, Shoshanna and Caroline to lay down for the night.  To see E fall asleep with a grin from ear to ear made reminded me  of the importance of creating social opportunities for E.

We spent Sunday again with Ariela and Shoshanna, going to the movies and enjoying all of the exhibits at the children's museum.  Sandi left for home as she had to work Monday.  E and I stayed the night and took the amtrak train to Chicago on Monday as he didn't have school because of President's Day.

As good as last weekend was and how well he did with his social opportunities, this weekend has a disaster.  Multiple temper tantrums, anxiety, teeth grinding, with all three occurring at once.  It was a weekend where Sandi and I had to practice patient assertiveness.

In reviewing the two past weekends, they couldn't have been more dichotomous.  I suspect that every parent has experienced similar events, however, probably  not to the degree or severity that we do.

I was recently speaking with someone about E.  I said that Sandi and I were lucky.  He looked at me as if I had three heads.  He must have been thinking, you're lucky?  I continued that I have a son who wants and craves interaction with people, a son who has an innate ability in math, a son who is highly observant and takes great delight in communicating his thoughts with limited verbal ability.

So, when I have weekends like this weekend, I have to step back, take a breath and remember what makes E different.

Thanks for the good and bad weekends that give me perspective and reminds me why I am lucky.

Thanks for reading; more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment